Friday 4 July 2008

And Exhale...


I needed to be soothed but eschewed my usual chocolate. Or glass of wine (well, it was 9.30 in the morning) or a pick-me-up-book (really, really trying hard on the book buying front).

So I took a detour Wednesday morning. Head still fuzzy from the previous day's migrane (luckily it just started as a bad headache so I was able to do the gardening club. But it progressed. Rapidly. Adding five children and six after-school activities to the mix does not help. Have I mentioned I don't love Tuesdays....).

With three children in tow, one of whom was off poorly with some lurgy that she later shared with me, we mooched up to allotment. No tools with which to dig. No plants to put in the ground for the slugs. No camera even (that's an old picture), we pottered.

We were only up there for a short time. But we were on our own. And were there long enough for me to exhale and fill my lungs and spirit with a lush, green boost.

5 comments:

  1. You've no idea how the notion of clean fresh air sounds to anyone living in Northern California at the moment. We still have well over 1,000 fires (yes, three zeroes) burning, mostly not contained much at all. They began with lightening two weeks ago tomorrow. I cannot leave the house most days without a full out hepafilter mask on my face. So, yes, glad you are able to access fresh restorative clean air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading about the fires, Kathryn, on your blog and in the nationals here. So sorry you're all still suffering, sounds scary and awful. Hope things improve soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound restorative. I'm amazed by my ability to just stare at my garden.
    --Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your head is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just being outdoors, but especially gardening activity is just a wonderful way to re-charge your batteries!

    ReplyDelete